Thursday, April 7, 2016

iPad Binkies


   

The discussion surrounding technologies potential benefit to society is polarized. On one end, we constantly enjoy the benefits of a technologically advanced society. We have made amazing strides in medicine, communication, entertainment and education all with the help of technology. Our society is more often than not defined by these. We are distinct from many other countries on the planet because of our technology and have been able to maintain our position atop the global hierarchy in large part because of technology.  

On the reverse side, we are bombarded with technology everyday. Our lives are documented, preserved and presented with the help of technology. But the question which many have raised is has this gone too far? At what point do we step back from technology, where do we draw the line? 

In my opinion, we are letting technology impact too many areas of our daily lives. I am not arguing that we stop using technology, rather, I am proposing that people use technology as a crutch. From a social standpoint, we would do well to make a conscious effort to censor our own usage.

Ignoring the medical benefits, which I think clearly make technology an overwhelmingly positive thing, technology is eroding the foundation of our social nature. My main reasoning for this is the prevalent use of technology by children. I did not have a television until I was 7 years old. I played with blocks and PlayMobile. I played outdoors and regularly played team sports. Today, children are rarely given the chance to develop interpersonal skills. Technology is too enticing for them and parents view it as an easy way to entertain their kids. My best friends brother learned to read on an iPad, which honestly upset me. 

I think that a solution to this is that schools need to ban the use of technology in the classroom. Studies show that kids do not retain information as efficiently when they do not read from books or write on paper with pen. I don't understand why administrators push technology in schools so much. My best guess is that it makes it easier for them, which is a horrible reason. 


2 comments:

  1. Well said, Alex! I agree with most of the points you've outlined. From what I have personally experience, I don't think technology necessarily "erodes the foundation of our social nature", but rather the creativity and sense of wonder that we can develop at a young age. In my blog I had a similar stance on the issue, that the problem doesn't lie in technology, but rather how we use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that we are often using technology too often in our daily lives. In your words it has certainly become a "crutch" in many instances. For simple daily activities, we should strive to make a concerted effort in reducing our reliance and increasing our presence in the actual world. If we start doing this, perhaps we can have more meaningful moments and meet more people each day.

    ReplyDelete